WHY COCONUT COIR
Coconut Coir (pronounced “koi’er”) is the 1-2”/3-5 cm thick fibrous layer between the green skin and the hard brown shell of a coconut. This is ground up (or “decorticated” in technical jargon) to produce coir dust and coir fibre. By turning the spent husks into soil supplements and natural growing containers, we are helping to both eliminate environmental waste and ensure sustainability.
Coconut Coir offers several benefits for your plants and the environment, making it a great choice for gardening and agriculture. At PlantBest we closely monitor the process of our coconut coir for gardening. It undergoes proper ageing, drying, and rinsing before being meticulously packed for sale. Here are some of the benefits of using coconut coir as a growing medium or soil additive:
1Superior Water Retention
The sponge-like structure of coconut coir allows it to hold onto water while also promoting good drainage, which helps prevent root rot and other water-related issues.
The varied particle structure of coconut coir allows for good air flow and helps prevent soil compaction, which can be detrimental to plant growth.
Coconut coir has natural antifungal properties, which can help prevent the growth of harmful fungi in your soil.
4High Nutrient Retention
Coconut coir also has high nutrient retention properties, which means it can hold onto and release nutrients to your plants over time.
Coconut coir products can maintain their structure and water retention properties for a longer period of time compared to other soil additives such as peat moss or vermiculite.
Unlike peat moss, which is acidic, coconut coir is pH neutral, meaning it will not affect the acidity or alkalinity of your soil. This makes it a versatile option for a wide range of plants.
A highly renewable material that is derived from a by-product of the coconut industry. Unlike peat moss, which can take up to 220 years to renew at a rate of just 1mm per year, coconut coir is derived from the coconut seed, leaving the tree entirely intact.
Coconut coir is fully biodegradable - breaking down naturally over time without harming the environment. This makes it an excellent choice for those who are looking for eco-friendly alternatives to traditional soil additives.
3Low Carbon Footprint
Low carbon footprint compared to other soil additives such as peat moss, which is often harvested from sensitive ecosystems. By using coconut coir, you can reduce your environmental impact and promote sustainable practices.
Why Choose Coconut Coir Over Traditional Peat Moss?
- Sustainable Sourcing: Unlike peat moss, which is often harvested from sensitive ecosystems, such as bogs and wetlands, endangering flora and fauna, coconut coir is derived from a sustainable by-product of the coconut industry.
- Reduced Carbon Footprint: Digging up peat bogs for peat moss releases CO2 into the atmosphere, contributing to global warming. Coconut coir, on the other hand, has a significantly lower environmental impact.
- Renewable Resource: While peat moss takes thousands of years to form and is not renewable, coconut coir is a renewable resource, making it a much more environmentally friendly choice.
- Enhanced Water Retention: Coconut coir outperforms peat moss in retaining water, ensuring consistent moisture for your plants.
- Improved Aeration: Unlike peat moss, coconut coir offers superior root aeration, supporting healthier plant growth.
- Reduced Watering Frequency: Thanks to its excellent water-holding capacity, coconut coir reduces the need for frequent watering compared to peat moss.
Why PlantBest Products?
PlantBest provides high-quality coconut coir products that promote healthy and thriving plant growth while also supporting sustainability and reducing environmental impact. We invite you to try our coconut coir products to see the difference for yourself!
Our compressed coconut coir blocks are made from a hyper-renewable and sustainable resource with exceptional water holding capacity. It is a practical choice for those with limited storage space and easy to transport. They are lightweight and stackable, taking up less storage space than traditional soil additives. By using our coconut coir blocks, you are not only adding convenience but also promoting sustainability.